Friday 2 December 2011

Things I Have Learnt


Working out the stuff that my hands are
supposed to be doing

 Well I took her out for small rides, mainly round the block in a virtually empty business estate. I'm learning stuff even though I'm still not doing U-Turns, it's got me scared. But there are things I'm learning, the things that no one tells you about when you tell them you are learning to ride a bike for the first time. Clutch, gears, brakes. First I kept almost killing myself on the tank when i would pull in the clutch and the front brake at the same time, at the same speed, slamming on the front brakes sends your crutch into a hard lump of metal that's sitting just between your legs, not recommended, I'm glad I'm not a bloke.

Why so difficult, well I'd been riding the scooter for bout a year and a half, the scooter is automatic, both brakes are hand controlled, you don't do anything with your feet cept keep them nice and warm in a cosy foot well. So now I had to get used to the fact I had to use a foot brake, on the right hand side, when I stop I put down my right foot, it's just become automatic and you cant stop with your foot on the ground.

Leaning was different too, this bike is about 2.5 times heavier than the scooter was, I was scared to lean, even though I'd loved it on the scooter. I was asking myself if I would ever feel that love with the bike.


The empty estate that I now know like the back of my hand.
Hubby decided he wanted a picture of me riding,
but I had just stalled it in 3rd gear and now it was stuck in that
gear and I was feeling a bit miffed.

Ok so more practise needed, I want to ride the bike to work but I'm just not brave enough. I found myself putting off riding, using excuses like I'm not feeling well today, I'm too tired after work. I think I'm just going to have to make myself do something about it. I'm starting to feel that I have chosen a bike that is too big for me to start with, will I ever get the hang of it?

No comments:

Post a Comment